Friday, March 18, 2011

My First and Only Stab at Poetry... Urgh!

OK. Let me begin by saying I am not one for poetry. I understand poetry can be beautiful and that it is a skill to be able to do it well but I just don't get it. In saying this, I'm going to show you the extent of my poetry career.

In 1991, I was beginning the 12th grade and my English teacher gave us an assignment to write a poem in Emily Dickenson's style. The following is what I came up with as it was printed in the local newspaper. My mom kept this for all of these years. If I were to be honest with you, I'd tell you I don't even remember writing this let alone having it published in the paper. I imagine if I did remember this, I'd also remember my macho guy friends beating me up for it as well. But, alas, here it is. I don't know if this poem is good or embarrassing or what but I figured I'd put it out there for you all to decide. Please, be gentle.














5 comments:

  1. Oh, Doug, that's so sweet! I think you're very brave showing this to the world, but you really don't have anything to be ambarrassed about. I bet everyone's seen far worse than this. And you got it published! So you were a published writer at age 12! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on poetry. I have read poems I enjoy, but I can't see myself sitting down to read poetry on purpose.

    I dropped by from Fellow Writers! Nice to meet you!

    India Drummond

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I never would have done it if it wasn't an assignment. It is nice to meet you, India.

    Thanks, Cas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend, why you do you think anyone who would read your poem would think not to be gentle ;)! It's a great piece of work, I doubt that you wrote it at the age of 12... It's really good! I guess you should try to write some more poetry in the future! I'm not too much into poetry too but in some of my books I write some poems, I think you should try to write some for your works (even a few could fit perfectly well in your The Light Of Epertase)? I remember that J. Tolkien did that too in some of his works and they are well-known all over the world? Poetry and proze could be combined in a perfect combination, that's why The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit's poetry were my inspiration for my Tale Of The Rock Pieces and The Opposite Of Magic for the present...
    BTW, do you use sites like zazzle.com, cafepress. com, fiverr? They could be a good way to promote your works and to help "remove" stupidity in the streets like headlines on t-shirts, fridge-magnets, cups, etc: My Boyfriend kisses Better Than Yours, FBI - female body inspector, etc. Not everything we see and think of should be about sex, right? It would be much better if there were more nice pictures of mythical creatures, good thoughts, poems from fantasy genre, etc? I'm allanbard there, I use some of my illustrations, thoughts, poems from my books (like: One can fight money only with money, Even in the hottest fire there's a bit of water, or

    Love and happiness will be around,
    as all the chains will disappear,
    and Mountaineers will climb their mount
    and there won't be any tear! etc). Best wishes! Let the wonderful noise of the sea always sounds in your ears! (a greeting of the water dragons'hunters - my Tale Of The Rock Pieces).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone. There is a slight misunderstanding here. I was in the 12th grade when I wrote this, not 12 years all. That is all. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete